Scholarships & Goals
The 2016 College Scholarship application will be available end of April.
The goal of the NYCDA Foundation College Scholarship Program is to award multiple 4 year college scholarships, primarily with total values of $5,000-$25,000. These scholarships will be awarded as tuition payments directly to the college of YOUR choice. The scholarship recipient must be intending on pursuing a performance based major (dance, musical theater) in college.
Since our inception in 2010, the foundation itself has awarded more than $1,300,000 in college scholarships. NYCDA Foundation scholarship recipients are now represented in 30 prestigious arts programs across the country. When factoring in generosity of our College Partners, over 300 teenagers have shared in $17,000,000 in college scholarships awarded through NYCDAF.
Scholarships are to be awarded each year through an application and audition process. Currently TWO opportunities are planned for 2016:
July 3, 2016: This scholarship audition opportunity is being offered in conjunction with the NYCDA 4-day National Summer Workshop – July 4-7 at the Sheraton NY in New York City. The college scholarship audition will be held on July 3 at the Sheraton. The audition will start at 11:00 AM and will consist of a ballet class, a contemporary class and interviews. Please bring 10 color head shots to the audition. The photos can be photo copies or print outs. A separate application is needed to audition.
The schedule for July 3rd will be as follows:
|| Ballet Audition Class
| 1:00 PM
|| Lunch Break
| 1:30 PM
|| Contemporary Audition Class
| 3:00 PM
|| Question and Answer Session
There will be a college fair from 10:00 AM-6:00 PM where you can get literature and ask questions to all of the attending colleges.
ELIGIBILITY: This audition will only be open to dancers registered to attend the NYCDA 4-day Summer Workshop and who have most recently completed their junior or senior year in high school. This will also serve as the scholarship evaluation for our College Partners. The following Colleges and Universities will be in attendance - recruiting dancers and awarding 4 Year Scholarships to their prestigious programs:
Manhattan Marymount College (NY)
Point Park University (PA)
Mercyhurst University (PA)
Pace University (NY)
Southern Methodist University (TX)
Additional universities are likely to attend. Check back for updates!
- This audition is only open to students who have just completed their junior or senior year of high school.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced at the NYCDA Junior Gala on July 6th. Over 300 dancers have received scholarships from this audition - ranging from $5,000 to $160,000.
- Winners of the July 3rd scholarships will be invited to perform at the Foundation's 2016 BRIGHT LIGHTS SHINING STARS gala fundraiser in September NYC. Transportation and lodging will be the responsibility of the recipient.
September 18, 2016: This scholarship audition opportunity is being offered in conjunction with the NYCDAF BRIGHT LIGHTS SHINING STARS Gala Fundraiser in New York City. Exact time/location is TBA but audition will not start before noon.
ELIGIBILITY: This audition is open to dancers from studios that have participated in the NYCDAF National Fundraising Campaign. Independent dancers also welcome.
- For every $1000 in donations contributed to NYCDAF (through August 31st), one dancer may attend this private scholarship audition. No limits! Dancers not affiliated with a studio are welcome to fundraise independently. A $1,000 donation to NYCDAF is required.
- This audition will be open to all dancers who have just completed their junior year of high school through their junior year of college.
- 30+ dancers have shared over $300,000 in college scholarships that were awarded the past 4 years at this private audition.
Each dancer's experience at the September 18, 2016 audition will include:
- Two mandatory college audition classes – one ballet, one contemporary.
- A personalized NYCDAF testimonial letter, thanking you for your fundraising efforts and charitable service. This letter may be valuable in your college application process.
The exact number of scholarships to be awarded at each audition/event in 2016 is still to be determined. Your fundraising dollars will certainly help make a difference in the lives of more dancers.