Judging & Awards
Adjudication of Awards
All entries are adjudicated by four qualified judges. The lowest score is always dropped and the three remaining scores are tallied.
- Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver, and Bronze awards will be presented based on the following combined scores: all entries awarded Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, and Silver qualify for the NYCDA 2017 National Season Finale!
Critics’ Choice Awards - Sponsored by Dance Magazine
High Score Soloist Awards - Sponsored by Body Wrappers
- Adjudication Awards will be presented to all competing entries who meet the Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver and Bronze criteria.
- Special ‘Distinguished Achievement Awards’ (including ‘Backstage Good Sportmanship’ and ‘Class Act’ Awards) will be presented each weekend – at the discretion of the judges.
- 'Studio Standout' Award! recognizing the highest scoring entry from each studio (with 8 or more group entries).
- Overall high scores in each age division (7-10), (11-12), (13-15), and (16-18) will receive a special award and a Regional Convention Scholarship (excludes solos and duo/trios).
- Overall high score soloists in the Mini, Junior, Teen, and Senior age divisions will receive a Regional Convention Scholarship and a special presentation from Body Wrappers. Each performer may only place one time in Overall High Score Soloists, recognizing the soloist, not the solo.
- One Mini, Junior, Teen and Senior entry will be selected to receive the NYCDA Critics’ Choice Award and will be presented a special plaque of achievement. This entry must be a Group, Line or Production. Each age classification must each have 6 entries to warrant the awarding of the Critics’ Choice Award.
Each NYCDA Regional Critics’ Choice Award Winner will receive FREE competition entry fees for that number at the 2017 National Season Finale! PLUS a Regional Convention Scholarship.