Updated for 2018-2019 Season!
Every weekend, our goal is to assist dancers in realizing there are a broad spectrum of opportunities available – far beyond the lessons of the convention dance floor. Our numerous Scholarships and Special Opportunities offer unique and important ‘next steps’ for our dancers. Our many sponsors and partners represent a diverse cross-section of the professional dance community. Additionally, the prestigious NYCDA Outstanding Dancer Program is always a highlight of every convention weekend. This allows dancers to qualify for our National Scholarship Program in NYC. Ask anyone who as ever participated…. ’there is nothing like it’!
We are proud of our continued support from the professional dance community and are excited to make these opportunities available to 'our kids'. Take a look at the growing list of opportunities available to YOUR dancers – awarded every weekend:
- We are excited about our new partnership with the LA based company BODYTRAFFIC- literally half of the current company members are NYCDA Alumni! BODYTRAFFIC has launched a two week Summer Intensive hosted in brand new studios at Santa Monica College in California. Each weekend, NYCDA will select one dancer to participate in this pre-professional training opportunity. (One Teen or Senior per weekend - $500 stipend)
ROCKETTES ® Award
- Each weekend one talented dancer will be selected for their 'Rockettes potential' and awarded a partial scholarship to one of the Rockettes Summer Intensives. (One Teen or Senior per weekend)
COMPLEXIONS Summer Intensive
- Each weekend one dancer will be accepted into the Complexions summer program- and receive a $500 stipend, cosponsored by the NYCDA College Scholarship Foundation. Under the direction of Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson, Complexions seeks to educate the complete dancer- participants experience techniques designed to cultivate and develop strong, well-trained dancers who are educated to perform more skillfully and creatively. (One Teen or Senior per weekend- $500 stipend)
STEPS on Broadway Summer Intensives
- Steps on Broadway is a world-renowned professional dance studio in NYC, recently coming under the leadership of Joe Lanteri, who is now Executive Director of Steps on Broadway. Many of our faculty members on their faculty as well. With our enhanced partnership, Steps will be offering a number of scholarships each weekend:
- The "School at Steps" Junior Summer Intensive (2 Juniors per weekend $400 stipend each)
- The "School at Steps" Senior Summer Intensive (2 Teens per weekend $500 stipend each)
- An immersive 4 week contemporary intensive for dancers ages 18+ called "Summer Study NYC" (3 Seniors per weekend - $500 scholarship each)
- A two year Conservatory Program geared towards the dancer ages 17+ planning on entering the concert or commercial dancer world. (3 Seniors per weekend - $2,000 award)
- Peridance is a professional dance school located in NYC. Each weekend, NYCDA will select four dancers to be recipients of scholarships to two of Peridance's summer programs:
- Teen Summer Intensive (2 Teens per weekend - $500 stipend each)
- "Blueprint", Peridance's Senior/Pre-Professional Intensive (2 Seniors per weekend- $300 stipend each).
Perry Mansfield Performing Arts School
- Each weekend one talented dancer will be awards a $1,000 scholarship to either the Perry Mansfield Young Artist intensive or Pre-Professional Intensive (One Teen or Senior per weekend - $1000 stipend).
NYCDA Triple Threat Awards
- Each weekend a select number of dancers will be automatically accepted into the NYCDA Summer Dance Intensive. Dancers must demonstrate their versatility and work ethic throughout the convention weekend. This award also includes their 'nomination' for one of eight $500 merit scholarships towards the tuition. The Summer Intensive is also open to ALL dancers ages 13-19. (Teen or Senior)
NYCDA Junior Triple Threat Awards
- Each weekend a select number of dancers will be automatically accepted into the new NYCDA Junior Dance Intensive. Dancers must demonstrate their versatility and work ethic throughout the convention weekend. The Junior Dance Intensive is also open to ALL dancers ages 10-12. (Mini or Junior)
NYCDA Winter Intensive Award
- NYCDA is proud to host a one week winter contemporary/concert dance intensive in NYC for dancers ages 16-21, led by Artistic Director Alexandra Damiani. Each weekend one dancer will be awarded automatic acceptance into the Winter Intensive. (Senior)
NYCDA Foundation Rising Star Award
- Each weekend, the NYCDA Foundation sponsors one "Rising Star" dancer- acknowledging the dancer that demonstrates talent, potential, hard work, and a joyful attitude in class. The Foundation will pay $200 directly to the dancer's STUDIO for their continued dance education and related expenses. (Mini/Junior - $200 foundation scholarship)
NYCDA "Friday Night Sessions" Scholarships
- At NYCDA we pride ourselves on connecting dancers with "real life" opportunities. At Nationals- we host many audition workshops with current Broadway shows, Companies, and Casting Agencies. At the Regional Level, we still take every opportunity to make that connection. Our Friday Night Sessions guest faculty handpicks a few dancers each weekend to received a NYCDA Regional Workshop Scholarship.
NYCDA Future Star Scholarships
- Each weekend a select group of dancers with outstanding potential are awarded a Regional Workshop Scholarship.
NYCDA "STANDOUT" Class Scholarships
- Each weekend a select number of dancers will be hand-picked directly by our faculty to receive NYCDA Regional Convention Scholarships. Dancers will be selected for their talents demonstrated in the ballet, tap and/or hip-hop classes.
All eligible registered Workshop dancers will be considered for Regional Convention Scholarships, Sponsorships, and Awards. No special audition required. Selection based on faculty observations throughout the weekend. Only dancers wearing audition numbers will be considered. (Once a dancer has received an Outstanding Dancer or Runner Up Award, they are not eligible to audition again for any other scholarships the remainder of the season.)
- Scholarship awards are not transferable, unless both teachers (previous and current) consent. If a dancer switches studios, they must provide written permission to NYCDA from their previous studio to utilize previously won scholarships. Regional Scholarship Winners and Runner Ups must attend Nationals as the same studio they won their Scholarship regionally.