2022-2023 Regional Competition Guidelines & Fees
|Time Limit||Discount Early Bird Rate||After Deadline Rate|
|Solo||3 min max||$170.00||$185.00|
|Duo/Trio (2-3 dancers)||3 min max||$80.00 per dancer||$87.00 per dancer|
|Group (4-9 dancers)||3 min max ||$63.00 per dancer||$70.00 per dancer|
|Line (10-15 dancers)||3 min max ||$63.00 per dancer||$70.00 per dancer|
|Extended Line (16-24 dancers)||4 min max ||$63.00 per dancer||$70.00 per dancer|
|Small Production (12-24 dancers)||5 min max ||$63.00 per dancer||$70.00 per dancer|
|Large Production (16+ dancers)||6 min max ||$63.00 per dancer||$70.00 per dancer|
|Extended Small Production (12-24 dancers)||6 min max ||$68.00 per dancer||$75.00 per dancer|
|Extended Large Production (16+ dancers)||8 min max ||$68.00 per dancer||$75.00 per dancer|
- Registration deadlines are defined city by city on the NYCDA website. A 3-day grace period will be allowed to receive the Early-Bird Registration discounted rates. After the 3 day grace period, the full tuition rates will be applied. REGISTER EARLY!
- At the 3-day grace period, all registrations will be ‘locked’. You will no longer have online access to make changes. Your registration should be complete – especially competition entries. Incomplete entries will not be included in the event. (Please note: it is important that accurate ‘choreographer’ info is included for each competition entry. We need this info to complete our weekend judging schedule, as no NYCDA faculty/staff will ever judge their own choreography. Please let us know.) Changes will only be accepted by emailing the registration team. Changes/additions are subject to availability.
- No registration is guaranteed without payment. To secure your spot, we request a 50% deposit at time of registration.
- FULL payments are required 2 weeks prior to the event. Unpaid registrations will not be included in the event and ‘the spot’ will be relinquished to a studio on the waiting list.
- Completed liability waivers are required for each dancer/participant. Be sure to get the necessary parent/guardian signatures. CLICK HERE for Waiver Link →
- Each dance studio may apply their own additional fees, when necessary.
- Add extended time to any entry (excludes solos) for $5 per dancer, per minute, up to 3 additional minutes.
- Entries will be accepted after the registration deadline when available- cities do sell out! If necessary, a waitlist will be utilized for additional entries. No onsite competition entries will be accepted. See specific city page for details. No entry fees are refundable, except as necessary due to Covid-19.
- Competition fees may be paid by credit card or studio business check in advance, only. No Canadian/International checks accepted - bank money orders in US funds only. Make all checks payable to: NYC DANCE ALLIANCE.
- Competing dancers must be at least 7 years of age and registered for the full workshop in the convention city they are competing in. (Ready, Set, Dance! dancers may compete as long as the average age of the entry remains 7+).
- To reach the average age of an entry, add all the ages together and divide by the number of dancers in the entry. After averaging age, DROP THE DECIMAL to come up with the competition age for the entry. For example: An entry who's average age is 10.7 will compete as age 10. Names, ages and birthdates of all dancers must be provided when registering. All competing dancers must be prepared to present proof of age should a question arise.
- All ages are as of January 1, 2023, for the entire 2022-2023 season, including Nationals.
- The average age of each entry may not drop more than one age division below the age of the oldest dancer in the entry, regardless of the actual average age. Example: If an entry contains dancers ranging in age from 9-18, the entry may not compete younger than 13-15 (one division younger than the oldest dancer-18).
JAZZ consists of primarily jazz technique, utilizing uptempo music.
BALLET consists of ballet or pointe technique. Must include classical steps and movements.
TAP consists of tap technique. Tap shoes only.
LYRICAL consists of jazz and ballet technique - emphasizing strength, control, and interpretation.
MUSICAL THEATRE consists of Broadway/theatre dance styles.
CONTEMPORARY consists of modern and ballet technique, reaching beyond the standard jazz vocabulary.
HIP-HOP consists of street, funk, MTV video style jazz technique.
SPECIALTY consists of ethnic, acro/gymnastics, novelty, etc.
OPEN consists of all other categories.
Judges reserve the right to change the competing dancers category if the number has been entered improperly.
- Competition entry limits are specific to each convention city. Check city page for most updated entry limit information. Additional entries may be accepted if time permits- NYCDA will notify all registered studios re: additional entries after the registration deadline has passed. Cities do sell out! If necessary, a waitlist will be utilized for additional entries. No onsite competition entries will be accepted.
- Solos and duo/trios must always be available for Friday competition if needed. In some cities, NYCDA may need to include group competition on Friday in order to accommodate all entries, and will notify registered studios at least 2 weeks prior.
- Regional Competitions are limited to time available in each city. Entries accepted on a first come, first served basis. Registration by deadline does not guarantee acceptance of entries.
- Studios can participate in more than one NYCDA Regional Competition. However, if an entry wins a gold, high gold or platinum NYCDA award in a regional, that entry cannot compete in another NYCDA regional the same season.
- 10 points will be deducted from entries that do not comply with time limitations. Limitations will be strictly enforced.
- Entries may be entered for "critique only" on a NON-COMPETITIVE basis. NYCDA office should be notified at time of registration. Regular entry fees apply.
- All competing dancers must be registered for both workshop/competition under their studio. Teacher workshop registration is not required to compete- but written permission from the studio must be provided for dancers to compete without a registered teacher. Independent Entries are not accepted for the competition.
- Competing dancers may enter as many categories as desired, as long as they never compete against themselves. At least 50% of the dancers in each entry must be different to be considered different dance in the same age, performance, and competition division.
- Dancers may not compete more than one solo per weekend.
- Competing dancers may compete for one studio only.
- Schools with multiple locations may compete as separate studios as long as there is no mixing of dancers from each location. No combining of dancers allowed for extra discounts.
- Competing dancers may compete in more than one city. However, if an entry wins a gold, high gold or platinum NYCDA award in a regional, that entry cannot compete in another NYCDA regional.
- Professional dancers are welcome for the workshop but will not be permitted to compete if over age 18.
- Registered Teachers may only compete in the Open (19+) age division.
- Tap sounds on recordings of tap entries will result in 5 pt. deduction.
- Entry numbers containing more than 2 gymnastic passes MUST be entered in the Specialty or Open categories. Otherwise, 5 points will be deducted and the entry will be moved to the appropriate category.
- Competing dancers should be ready 30 minutes prior to their scheduled competition time. If the competition is running ahead of schedule, you will be expected to perform.
- Competing dancers must perform in the scheduled sequence unless special permission is granted by the M.C. Intentional manipulation of performance schedule will result in disqualification.
- All dancers and their teachers are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship and general support of all participants.
- Choreography/costumes that are not considered age appropriate by the judges will have 10 pts. deducted from the total score.
- Any studio, dancer or parent that abuses the designated dressing area will be disqualified. All participants are responsible for cleaning their area and properly disposing of all garbage.
- No NYCDA faculty will be permitted to judge their own choreography. Their score will be dropped and the entry will not be eligible for any High Score or Critics’ Choice Awards.
- Age Appropriate: NYCDA prides itself in maintaining a professional, classy, and family environment. Our ‘age-appropriate’ criteria will continue to appear on every score sheet – under Costuming, Music Choice, and Choreography. Necessary deductions will be taken. Disqualification may result, at the discretion of the judges.
- Competition Music should be uploaded PRIOR to your Convention weekend! Attach music files directly to your competition entry registration.
- Alternatively, you may provide your competition music on USB at Registration. Please have a backup available for each entry.
- Music Files should be in a Mac compatible format, such as .mp3, .wav, .m4a, etc. All files must be under 10 MB.
Adjudication of Awards
- All entries are adjudicated by three or four qualified judges. When 4 judges are present, the lowest score is always dropped and the three remaining scores are tallied.
- Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver, and Bronze awards will be presented based on the following combined scores.
- All entries awarded Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, and Silver qualify for the NYCDA 2023 National Season Finale!
Critics’ Choice Awards - Sponsored by Dance Magazine
- Adjudication Awards will be presented to all competing entries who meet the Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver and Bronze criteria.
- Special ‘Distinguished Achievement Awards’ (including ‘Backstage Good Sportsmanship’ and ‘Class Act’ Awards, both receiving $250 studio gift certificates) will be presented each weekend – at the discretion of the judges.
- OUTSTANDING STUDIO AWARD! See additional entry information HERE- this will be awarded in each city, if applicable.
- Overall high scores in each age division (7-10), (11-12), (13-15), and (16-18) will receive a special award and a $250 regional gift certificate (excludes solos and duo/trios).
- Overall high score soloists in the Mini, Junior, Teen, and Senior age divisions will receive a $250 regional gift certificate. Each performer may only place one time in Overall High Score Soloists, recognizing the soloist, not the solo.
- One Mini, Junior, Teen and Senior entry will be selected to receive the NYCDA Critics’ Choice Award. This entry must be a Group, Line or Production. Each age classification must each have 6 entries to warrant the awarding of the Critics’ Choice Award.
- Each NYCDA Regional Critics’ Choice Award Winner will receive FREE competition entry fees for that number at the 2022 National Season Finale! plus a $250 studio gift certificate.
- Award Donation: Rather than accept award plaques for your 2021-2022 NYCDA Competition Entries, NYCDA gives you the option to donate your award to charity- at $5 per award. We’ll pick three worthy causes – you decide which you’d like to support. Check this option when registering online. Of course, it’s great to keep your awards too! You have every right to be proud!
Video & Photography
- ALL Video taping and photography are strictly prohibited during the Competition & Convention Finale. This includes the use of cell phones to take videos/photos and ALL still photography with our without flash. (Disqualification could result.)
- Professional quality photos and videos of the competition will be available for purchase on-site and after the convention weekend from: evolvephotovideo.com
- All dancers authorize the use of their image in photos and video for NYCDA publicity and advertisement purposes.