Summer Pre-Professional Intensive
The 2023 Summer Pre-Professional Intensive Application is available HERE!
The Intensive will be hosted IN-PERSON in NYC. No virtual component is currently planned.
The application deadline is April 15, 2023.
Questions? Email email@example.com
July 24-July 29, 2023 | July 31-August 5, 2023
Dancers are welcome to attend either one or both weeks.
(Dates are subject to change.)
Professional Dance Studios
140 William Street
The NYC Dance Alliance Pre-Professional Intensive, for dancers ages 14-19, is a 6-day intimate training opportunity with NYCDA faculty and professional guests. The program is focused on reinforcing and augmenting each dancer’s existing technique while exploring new dance vocabulary - all within a classroom and rehearsal setting.
- The Pre-Professional Intensive is open to ALL dancers ages 14-19.
- Each 6-day session ends with an informal in-studio showcase, to be live-streamed for an audience of family and friends. The ability to accommodate a small live audience is still TBD.
- Dancers are welcome to register for one or both weeks of the intensive.
- Guest faculty and choreographers will differ from week to week. Dancers participating in both weeks will be paired with different choreographers each session - guaranteeing different experiences.
NOTE: There is no plan for a virtual component. In-person space will be limited. A waiting list will be created and used if/when capacity is reached.
DAILY SCHEDULE SAMPLE
|9:00 - 10:25 AM||Ballet|
|10:30 - 11:55 AM||Contemporary|
|12:00 - 1:00 PM||Lunch|
|1:00 - 2:25 PM||Seminars/Class|
|2:30 - 3:55 PM||Specialty Class|
|4:10 - 6:00 PM||Rehearsal or Specialty Class|
CURRICULUM and SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Experience it ALL: jazz, ballet, tap, contemporary, modern, musical theater, hip hop, voice, injury prevention, auditioning, yoga, and more.
- Attend Special Industry Seminars unique to NYCDA. Meet a variety of industry professionals including Broadway choreographers, casting directors, dance company members, nutritionists, physical therapists, and more. Topics range from ‘writing a resume’ to ‘getting the job.’ Be informed! Audition workshops have included "Wicked", "Cats", "On Your Feet", “Come Fly Away", "In The Heights", “Legally Blonde", “42nd Street”, and "Hamilton". Special workshops have also included such notable companies as Hubbard Street, Twyla Tharp, Parsons Dance, and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
- Studio Showcase Performance: Share what you’ve learned with your family and friends! An informal showcase will be live-streamed for everyone to enjoy. The ability to accommodate a small live audience in the dance studio is currently TBD.
ELIGIBILITY & AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
The NYCDA Pre-Professional Intensive will accept a limited enrollment of young dancers ages 14-19. The application is required from ALL dancers. Video submission will be required of dancers not automatically accepted through an NYCDA event.
ANY dancer is welcome to audition and participate in the NYCDA Summer Intensives. Attendance at an NYCDA Regional Convention Workshop is not required.
One Week In-Person: $1350*
*50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure in-person space. First come, first served.
- The NYCDA Summer Pre-Professional Intensive will accept a limited number of in-person dancers. Capacity is still TBD. No virtual component is scheduled at this time.
- All dancers will be notified by May 5, 2023.*
- Early acceptance notifications will happen throughout the months of March/April. Early application is encouraged.
- A 50% tuition deposit will be due at the time of acceptance notification. Participation is not guaranteed without the 50% deposit.
- Full tuition will be due by June 9, 2023.
- No refunds, no exceptions. In the case of injury or illness, credit will be extended for a future NYCDA event, minus a 15% administrative fee.
- NYCDA Regional Rising Stars receive $200 towards the tuition.
- This year, there will be no additional financial assistance or scholarships available.
* NYCDA Regional Outstanding Dancers & OD Runners-up, NYCDA Convention Triple Threat Winners, NYCDA Rising Stars, Onstage NY Title Winners, and Onstage NY Triple Threat Winners are all automatically accepted to the Pre-Professional Intensive. No audition is necessary - but the application is still required. Space is not guaranteed without a 50% deposit. Limited availability – first come, first served.
There are NO mandated protocols for Summer 2023. Currently, masks will be optional.
Full COVID protocol will be reviewed regularly and will be shared separately, based on updated NYC Department of Health guidance.
All the above policies could change by the summer. Check back for updates.
ROOM & BOARD
Summer Intensive participants are responsible for their own travel, housing, and food. No chaperoning provided. A suggested list of nearby accommodations may be made available, once the host location has been confirmed.
All prospective NYCDA Summer Pre-Professional Intensive students must provide the following by April 15, 2023:
- Completed application form
- Photo or headshot
- One letter of recommendation from dance instructors or qualified dance professional. (Dancers awarded automatic acceptance at an NYCDA event are not required to submit a recommendation letter.)
- Video Audition. Simple in-studio cell phone video is acceptable. (Video is only required of dancers not automatically accepted through an NYCDA event.) See video guidelines below.
Early admission notifications will start to happen in March/April. All dancers will be notified by May 5. A waitlist will be utilized and dancers will be accepted/notified if/when capacity limitations allow. We encourage early applications – first come, first served – subject to availability.
VIDEO AUDITION GUIDELINES
All audition videos must include the following:
- Video intro of dancer that includes name and age.
- Ballet (required) - Present a short adagio and a grande allegro combination demonstrating control, line, extension, jumps, and turns.
- Jazz/Lyrical or Contemporary (required) - Present a short 1 minute solo.
- Maximum video length is 5 minutes.